Re: Shut-Down

To: David Haller <dhaller@techline.com>,
Subject: Re: Shut-Down
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:20:27 -0700
Dave,

I don't know if there is a proper or best way to shut down after a fast
run, a lot depends on the situation at hand, but there are some things
you don't want to do. (Like pulling it into reverse at 195 MPH, I
know that's good for a couple of rotations.)

My experience has covered a variety of methods. We used to try to hit
the ignition switch and the clutch at the same time with wide open
throttle to get a good plug reading. I have, as John said, just slipped
it into neutral and hit the chute. (Quite frankly, I don't normally use
the chute at Bonneville unless there is some compelling reason. The car
will slow enough to exit within a little more than a mile easily.)
Recently I have been coming off the throttle easily, hitting the switch
and coasting down in gear for a distance before slipping it out of gear.
(A method I have chosen to save the transmission.)

I think the main concern in shutting down is that you don't make sudden
changes in the attitude of the car. I have seen too many problems at the
end of runs. I'm not sure what have caused these situations, but I have
some thoughts on the subject. First and foremost, it is easy to think,
when passing the 5-mile board, that the run is over, especially if it
has been an eventful ride. (In the case of a 200 MPH + run, the vehicle
is still moving at the rate of a football field per second, plus now the
power is off or reduced, so control is even less positive.) Relaxing too
much at this point can present a problem! Second, when lifting the
throttle, the front end gets loaded and may cause the car to take an
unexpected direction. It's my opinion that is what happened to George
Field's 300 MPH crash. He had had a very busy ride, exited at 300+ and
the car immediately turned to the left. Third, parachutes themselves
have caused crashes by lifting the rear of the car off the ground. Be
sure you have the chute attached at the proper location on the car and
that there is adequate tow line on the chute.

I know this is a bit of a morbid presentation about shutting down after
a run. Your question deserves some answers, I just wish I had the right
ones. I salute you for posing the question, usually all we are concerned
about is how to go fast. Maybe someone else out there can shed some
light on the subject.

Tom #216 D/CC