Re: No Records...Big FUN

To: <edvs@idt.net>
Subject: Re: No Records...Big FUN
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:25:20 -0500
I have a new theory on the Lack of Salt at Bonneville..... Wow.... we have
enough table salt for the city of Enterprise Alabama......... looking
forward to getting it clean enough to put on this Salt Away Product....

I would Love the Video Ed....

Again thanks a million for stopping by.... and Tom Bryant also... What a
treat he was.... I case any of you don't know Tom.... and Margaret.. they
are super folks... and even helped set a New record with Joe Timney and
Lionel William's.... Donor Transmission stuff....

Keith

----------
> From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
> To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
> Cc: land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: No Records...Big FUN
> Date: Monday, August 23, 1999 9:34 AM
>
> Keith,
> Glad ya made it back safely - I have been running my power washer for 2
> days trying to clean up this mess......
> Great meeting you and getting a look at your super-sano Camaro. Sorry to
> see that you need a little (?) headwork. You know, they ALWAYS break
> just when you are going your fastest!
> BTW, got that run on Video as I was at the start line when you left.
>
> What a thrash this year was, late getting there then nothing seemed to
> work right (at least I brought the motor home in one piece for a
> change!) Finally gave up when I realized the foam in my fuel cell was
> disintegrating too fast to clean the filter, plus a few other small
> problems.
>
> Talk to you later, too tired to type..........
> Ed
>

> Keith Turk wrote:
> >
> > Well we didn't set any Records.... Damn shame but We had a Great time
and
> > made lots of new friends.... Met a Ton of E-mail buddies.... which was
> > wonderful... we are in one of those environments that simply doesn't
put a
> > face on a fella... It was great to talk with all of you... and honestly
> > .Your great folks in Person...
> >
> > The So Al "semi" Special was an absolute riot to run on the salt...
thanks
> > to John Beckett for having the ECTA and Joe Timney for quality
inspections
> > over a years time.... Tech was a breeze  big bubbles no troubles...
matter
> > of fact Less Problems then most folks.... (reckon Mike Cook (pres SCTA)
> > walking up and introducing us to the tech guys helped?)
> >
> > We ran the car Ten times total... which was well short of our goal...
but
> > we had a little French kissing exercise between the Valves and the
Pistons
> > when the Jesel Belt drive slipped.... for some reason... the valves
didn't
> > take kindly to this
> >
> > First passes were 140mph then up to 160 and a good plug check...
cleared me
> > up to 190.... and Brad was cleared to 7800... so based on exit Rpm he
went
> > 198 with about 3/4 throttle.... The car was cooking with no real
> > problems...
> >
> > came in Monday Morning and swapped in the 307 gear set with the Help of
> > Darrel from Our list here...(thanks Darrel...  your help was most
> > appreciated) Took the car over to the Long course... and decided it was
> > time to let the car run up to speed.... after the first mile of slick
salt
> > I got it in fourth with the motor breathing fine and building Rpm like
> > banshee.. and it all quit accelerating.... just stopped at 5800 rpm....
> > Pulled off the course to the right and  shut it down..... I was
bummed....
> > I had waited 4 hours on the starting line with the full expectation
that
> > the car was going to run the number.... For once in my life I was
quiet...
> > secure in the knowledge that the car was going to do what I had built
and
> > designed it to do....
> >
> > Took a full night to relax and gain a little insight on what was wrong
and
> > what happened to the motor... and to kinda regroup and figure out how
> > get the most out of the rest of the week.... Oh and thanks to John
> > Beckett's Prodding we finally decided to Swap in our back up motor and
run
> > it the rest of the week....
> > ( thanks to help from our Aussie Crew.. Garth Butterworth) we put
Brad's
> > 355 in and ran it several more times.... Learned lots of lessons....
and