RE: Motor options

To: "'Beth Butters'" <bbutters@dmi.net>,
Subject: RE: Motor options
From: "Ferguson, Darrell" <dfergus@bactc.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:46:43 -0700
Not to bash anyone who is unfortunate enough to hurt a motor at Bonneville,
but there are not too many guys running blown and injected motors with a
fuel system that's really dialed in for the application. I see many cars
running nothing more than a main jet. While Bonneville is primarily wide
open throttle, you still need to spool the motor up to get there. Some of
these cars load up and start dropping cylinders at idle (if they start), as
well as through the midrange, and hopefully clean out before they enter the
first mile.Last year, I watched a guy try to start a blown gas belly tanker
with a can of spray start. When they couldn't fire the motor, they decided
to push start the car, and I could smell the Ether as the car went past me!
I know a lot of guys just like to use spare parts that are sitting on the
shelf that would otherwise collect dust. Unfortunately, when these marginal
parts either fail, or cannot perform, the result is something none of us
like to think about. For the money we all pay to enter our cars to race, to
tow to get out there, as well as what's in the vehicle itself, I am
astounded at the # of guys who'll save $60.00 on a bypass valve for the fuel
system. Especially on vehicles running in blown gas classes where the
air/fuel ratio is much more crucial, the results can be disastrous.

Darrell Ferguson
BLACK RADON ENGINEERING
# 939 BBFALT
http://my.cybersoup.com/blackradon