Re: Motor options

To: "Joseph Timney" <TIMNEYJJ@sterlingdi.com>
Subject: Re: Motor options
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 07:08:02 -0700
Thanks Joe.... always appreciate the imput... trying to get the list going
again mostly.... I know where there is a B&M supercharger and I am thinking
about it .. I know the learning curve isn't shallow... but I already built
the car and it Performs as I expected... and the Damn Blown record is 9 mph
slower.. so away we go.... k

----------
> From: Joseph Timney <TIMNEYJJ@sterlingdi.com>
> To: kturk@ala.net; land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Motor options
> Date: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 3:20 AM
>
> Keith,
> Both turbo-charger or blower motors are a steep learning curve ! Any
wrong move gets expensive in a hurry. Having said that, if you want to take
this next step, my suggestion is to buy a high dollar data recording system
that records boost, exhaust tempertures of all 8 cylinders, water, oil air
tempertures, etc.This info will be vital to your motors well being.

> Then buy a complete motor from a reliable engine builder who does lots of
water cooled Blower motors, like Jim Oddy. Jim has a wealth of knowedge and
you can tap into that database when you purchase a new bullet from him.
Some of the boat motor people may be right up your alley, as boats run a
long time like a B-Ville car. I have drag racing experience with a blown
setup but Maxton and B-ville are different. I know I cannot run the lead or
lean mixtures used in dragracing there. Successfully playing with a blower
motor is about knowing how much boost it will take before it eats it self !
My problem was I kept trying to cheat ( that doesn't work )

> If you want to bench race , give me a call in my shop any night, I answer
the phone after 7 PM (302) 378.3013
> Well since we hurt the D motor pretty bad.... I have been trying to
decide
> a direction to take the whole effort....
>
> My Racing Partner and I sat about tonight discussing the various options
> and records that are just laying out there for the taking....  and we are
> thinking now would be a good time to go to a Turbo charger or a
Blower....