Re: WOS cancelled

To: John Beckett <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>
Subject: Re: WOS cancelled
From: "Wester S. Potter" <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:06:31 -0600
John,

Good question, complicated answer.  Logistics for the volunteers...work
schedules etc, co-ordination with the Red Flame for food, the prospect
of more rain on Thursday of this week, the condition of the course for
racers even if it does dry up the 4" of water out there, and then the
racers would have to go through the same thing...just getting free to
get there is a long term scheduling thing for a very high percentage of
them.  Gary Allen said "I wouldn't come this far for many of the racers
for an iffy course and the problems of scheduling work and such."  We
could have tried to tough it out and hope to run say Saturday through
Tuesday but with more rain in a forecast for Thursday we can't take a
chance....better for all involved to just aim for next year.  We spent
the afternoon cleaning out the storage shed and inventorying the
contents...small consolation but a needed activity.

Wes