Re: Race Engines

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Race Engines
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 19:14:47 -0400
Now you're talkin' John.  Junkyard turbos!  Some of the monster diesel
turbo's I used to overhaul (up to 8" Diameter outlet with a 6" turbine
wheel) would provide plenty of boost for the sustained high RPM seen on land
speed engines.  Most diesels have no provision for boost control. (I can
only recall ever seeing one on a military diesel that did.)  Their design as
compression ignition ignition engines enables them to withstand boost levels
that would blow the heads off a gasoline engine.

  With all the self propelled guns and old M60 tanks on the gunnery ranges
there may be some complete engines with turbos in the junk yards.  The twin
Schwitzers turbos on the M60 tank (which was powered by a 1790 CI air cooled
V12.  Now there's an ENGINE!)) were designed for a max turbine shaft RPM of
65,000.  That would be a design consideration, but it's such a huge turbo
that it wouldn't need to spin very fast.  I've seen turbo rotaries fitted
with turbo's so large that they would actually stop turning (after several
minutes) when the engine was idling.  These were making over 300 HP at the
rear wheels with only a mildly ported 12A (70 Cubic inch) engine.
Unfortunately, ALL the land-speed sanctioning bodies triple that TRUE engine
displacement to level the playing field for less efficient reciprocating
engine designs.

Chuck Rothfuss
Skipper of the "USS Wankel"
ECTA