Re: Race Engines

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "John Beckett" <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>
Subject: Re: Race Engines
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 18:15:43 -0700
Well John.... the answer is Money really isn't the issue.... it's about
knowing your options and selecting the right direction for the long
term.... not building a system that is Good for a single year and having to
change it all next year to fit into the bugeye or the Truck.... so on and
so forth....

This is kinda the way my mind thinks.... I look at everything then I pick a
direction... then I get hell bent for leather to go that way.... Look at my
foray into the air ride deal.... Simply stated I like to be well informed..
then intelligence isn't as large of a factor....( or complete lack there of
)

and the Hot Rod deal part of all this is just very appealing to me.... Damn
Turbo's are cheap.... I am sorry this thing costs 800 and it is set up for
the D motor with the same amount of airflow as the twins... not as
Responsive... but it's not a requirement as far as I am concerned.... and
it has an adjustable Wastegate for Boost control which is essential for
Longevity of the Motor...

If you want to know how to spend your money smartly.... Call Kenny
Duttwieler and spent $72,000 and you can be competitive in any class you
pick to include the 3 club classes.... that simple

We have a ton of Very smart folks on this list.... and I am listening to
all the advice... and each of you has a valid reason for his position....
It's those Points and counter points in the long run that should aid me in
making the right decision for my situation

Keith .... ( no longer sinking but barely treading water on the Turbo ocean
)
----------
crothfuss@coastalnet.com; land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Race Engines
> Date: Thursday, October 07, 1999 9:07 AM
>
>       Keith
>
>       Have run both the Electromotive and the FP electronics. Having the wide
> band O2 sensor on the FP is worth the difference in price to me. If cost
is
> a big issue then why not try the unit that Chris Harris is going to put
on
> his Gas Roadster, and you won't even need a lap top.
>
>       Hell you can weld preaty damn good, so make some headers to fit instead
of
> chopping up something else. Don't think Turbo headers need to be that
> complicated. Gale Banks had a super simple set on his 270 MPH Firebird.
>
>       The Diesel turbo sounds OK, but won't it have to be off a rather big
> diesel to make 800 HP? Thinking thats why guys run twin turbos. Ever see
> the size of the single turbo they use on the CART/Indy cars, its huge.
> Having said all that, there has got to be lots of different turbos out
> there in junk yards, gas and diesel, when used as twins, that would
handle
> 800 HP. I guess most have some sort of built in waste gates which should
> help with the cost, but don't have much adjustability.
>
>       I think this is a cool project so keep us posted as to what you find
out.

>       John Beckett
>
> At 03:05 AM 10/7/99 -0700, Keith Turk wrote:
> >I been trying to Kick off in my business's Butt..... Someone has to pay
for
> >my fun and it might as well be the Business....
> >
> >Been calling one Person a day and trying to learn a little more about
> >choices on a turbo system....
> >
> >Talked to a fellow today that may in fact have the right answer.... I
> >really want to use the parts I have to get this job done.... So I am
trying
> >to limit the system to about 800 hp  .... all these guys want to make
more
> >then that... This fella was talking about some semi Stock type Fuel
> >injection....with a set of corvette Headers and a single turbo.....( off
> >Diesel truck ) .... and an Electro Motive Controller.... instead of the
FP