Re: Hemi cylinder wall failure

To: dfergus@bactc.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hemi cylinder wall failure
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:44:46 EDT
In a message dated 10/27/1999 12:51:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dfergus@bactc.com writes:

<< Sorry to hear you hurt your motor- Ardun's are very cool, I've drooled over
 a few at some rod runs in years past, so hopefully you didn't wound the
 heads. She must sound good on a 80% load ! Are you running block filler to
 help stabilize the cylinder walls? I would think a half filled block might
 help while still allowing adequate cooling. The only problem is that your
 cylinder walls will heat (and expand/ deform ) at different rates due to the
 rate of transfer difference between the block rock, and your coolant. Are
 you running a blower on this, and what are you running for a fuel pump/ fuel
 system for this? I heard someone mention that they saw a picture of your
 roadster and it looked pretty nice- do you have a picture you cold e-mail
 me?

    Thanks     Darrell

Darrell,
    I tried epoxy block filler up to about 1" below the block deck for a
while with poor results. Every time I would run the engine the filler would
shift, distorting the cylinders. The Flatty block hold soooooo much water
that the epoxy never seemed to set completely.
    Since 1993 I've run "wet" blocks with no problems other than having a
helluva time warming the engine and then keeping any heat in it.
    All of my engines up til now have been normally aspirated. The fuel
system consists of a set of 2 1/16" IR injectors with the butterflies on top
of 8" tubes and the nozzles near the heads, built by Jimmy Stevens in Leona
Valley, CA (he's the guy with the reverse flow Flatty that's been taking Ron
Mains XF roadster records at the salt flats and El Mirage). The pump is a
Hilborn(-1), nozzles are 24-A's or 30-A's with percentages from 65-80.
     After getting beat by the McCain & Houtz blown fuel Flatty in June 1998
at the Palmdale CA Antique Nationals (we also spun a rod bearing and blew the
engine on that pass) I started on a 4:71 blown 258 ci Ardun for the rail. I
hope to test-n-tune the car this winter.
                                            Ardun Doug King