Re: Hemi cylinder wall failure

To: steve@seattleconstructioninc.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hemi cylinder wall failure
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:27:13 EDT
In a message dated 10/27/1999 12:28:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
steve@seattleconstructioninc.com writes:

<< ADK,
 There can only be one Ardun Doug King?!  I just checked for the latest
 updates on Don Ewald's Fuel Dragster site and saw the 1955 pic of the flat
 head dragster taken by guess who, Ardun Doug King.  This has got to be you!?
 (I'm a newcomer to this site)  Great photo of a cool early rail!!!!!
 > - >>
Steve,
    Yes, that's me in 1955 with my FED powered by a 3 3/8" X 4" Flattie. The
car was originally built by Corky Hurst in the SF area. Corky had a Bantam
coupe body and a wing-tank nose on the thing in the early 50's.
    Al Hubbard from the Vic Hubbard Speed Shop family got the car, pulled the
coupe body off and ran it as a dragster through 1954, winning consistently at
the old Lodi, CA Kingdon Drag Strip against the likes of Harry Webster, Joe
Boghosian, and Romeo Palimedes.
    In 1954 some locals (Scott Bros) built the first "slingshot" in Northern
CA, and with a lesser engine they trailered Hubbard the first time they raced
at Kingdon. The two teams immediately combined resources and went to the 1955
Pomona Memorial Day 3-day race, nearly defeating the legendary Calvin Rice
driving the Riley Const. Co. slingshot powered by a Nellie Taylor flathead.
    Hubbard "offed" the obsolete chassis to a red-headed high schiool kid
named King who put his "B" Gas Flatty in it and trucked off to college in San
Luis Obispo, CA where the pic was taken.
    If my kid (who, incidentally drives my Ardun powered Dragmaster now)
tried to take his race car to college I would have flipped........Ardun Doug
King