Re: 59A Flatmotor

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, OHFASTONE@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 59A Flatmotor
From: Dick Jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 06:18:56 -0800 (PST)
Now I've got some really basic mechanical
questions regarding a 59A ('48 Ford) flathead.  I
just pulled it off the stand to which it was
bolted when I bought it, and lowered it down
between the frame rails for fitting.  Looking at
the back of the block, the hole in the
bellhousing is just about the same size as the
pressure plate.  Can I install the clutch with
the oil pan on, or does it have to be taken off
to put the clutch on?  I noticed there's a small
half-moon notch cut in the top of the bellhousing
flange which looks like it might be intended for
sticking a socket extension with bolt into the
clutch.  Then there's the mystery of 10", 11" and
long style pressure plates.  Other than the
obvious 1" diameter difference, what are the
differences?  This motor has a steel-faced
aluminum after-market flywheel. I've got my old
8BA sitting on the floor next to it, and the
clutch problem doesn't exist on that because of
the differences in the bell housing design.
Thanks for you help.

=====
Dick J - - ECTA #72
G/FCC  -  FX/GMR