Re: 59A Flatmotor

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 59A Flatmotor
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 11:43:12 EST
In a message dated 11/05/1999 6:19:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 Now I've got some really basic mechanical
 questions regarding a 59A ('48 Ford) flathead.  I
 just pulled it off the stand to which it was
 bolted when I bought it, and lowered it down
 between the frame rails for fitting.  Looking at
 the back of the block, the hole in the
 bellhousing is just about the same size as the
 pressure plate.  Can I install the clutch with
 the oil pan on, or does it have to be taken off
 to put the clutch on?
# If you have a 1948 and earlier truck pan you can remove both the pressure
plate and flywheel with the pan on. Passenger car pans have enough clearance
to remove the pressure plate but not the flywheel.#

 I noticed there's a small
 half-moon notch cut in the top of the bellhousing
 flange which looks like it might be intended for
 sticking a socket extension with bolt into the
 clutch.
#You're right. The notch is for removing the pressure plate capscrews.#
Then there's the mystery of 10", 11" and
 long style pressure plates.  Other than the
 obvious 1" diameter difference, what are the
 differences?
# For racing you would probably use the 11" truck clutch. For the street, the
10" would be much easier on your leg.#
This motor has a steel-faced
 aluminum after-market flywheel.
#Good piece to have.#
I've got my old 8BA sitting on the floor next to it, and the
 clutch problem doesn't exist on that because of
 the differences in the bell housing design.
#You can use the 59-A aftermarket flywheel on the 8-BA but you'll have to
machine off the narrow flywheel rib on the aft side of the wheel just inboard
of the ring gear. It will interfere with the back of the 8-BA block and the
tin shield that the starter mounts on and connects the lower part of the bell
housing to the rear-sump pan on commercial models.................Ardun Doug
King
 Thanks for you help.

 =====
 Dick J - - ECTA #72