Re: The most basic question of all...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The most basic question of all...
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 10:16:28 -0500
At 06:38 PM 11/5/1999 -0800, Keith Turk wrote:
>we gotta change the Name of that Rotary engined thing you call the USS
>Wankle... Chuck....

  C'mon Keith, what's wrong with the name?  (And it's Wankel, as in Felix
Wankel, not "wankle".)  It's a name that everyone can remember and can
connect with the car.  It's better than "225" (the last three digits of the
VIN#) which I'd been calling it for years.  It couldn't be another "Betsy",
since all my Betsy's have been 4 doors, and I never came up with anything
more original.  If it hadn't been for my partners (one was a Navy LTJG)
sticking that name on the windshield to tease me about my "paint" it would
probably still be nameless.  They figured I'd scrape it off as soon as I got
back from Norway, but it's stuck.
  I was caught off guard the first time someone called me "Cap'n" at Maxton.
I'm used to all retired military folks being called either "Sarge" or
"Skipper" around home, but it took me a moment to realized that this
gentleman was calling me "Cap'n" because of the cars name.  After two
seasons I think it's here to stay, and after looking at all the names of
Bonneville cars over the years it's certainly not all that odd.

Chuck Rothfuss
ECTA