Re: Points computation ideas

To: lemay@hiwaay.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Points computation ideas
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 19:35:21 EST
In a message dated 11/26/1999 2:27:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lemay@hiwaay.net writes:

<<
 Now you've done it. And even though I am not (yet) a memebr of ECTA, I have
 a few thousand words regarding this subject. Uh...what were they..oh
 yeah... The SCTA rule book firstly says that the vehicle can run only in
 the lowest class for which it qualifies. I assume this means that if you
 have a D/BMS (like me) and that is the lowest engine class I can run in
 then that is the ONLY one that I should be allowed to run in. Even if the C
 and B and A are vacant, I should not be permitted to run in those classes.
 And gas should not compete in fuel classes.

 Now how would I do the points, well if you dig back in the archives maybe
 we could find the previous posts, but..I think everyone who runs should get
 points for his/her trying. So even if you make a run and break before the
 trap, you should still get soemthing, else why bother to show up at all.
 So, get 25 points for showing up in your class at the line. Get percentage
 of points up to the record or minimum. 100 points for reacing existing
 record or minimum even if you are not fastest in class but meet record.
 Then add on some points for breaking the record, but only a minimum number
 of points. Why, well it will help keep the sandbagging to a minimum. And
 for club purposes only one set of points per driver. This is to keep
 someone from bringing a semi full of cars to a club meet and running the
 points out of reach. So if a driver wants to run multiple classes in
 DIFFERENT vehicles then he gets to pick the one he wants his points
 against. I assume this would be the one that exceeds a record by the most.

 So why do I get on my soap box about class jumping? Well for instance, cars
 with bigger motors don't always run faster than cars with smaller motors.
 When I look at the B'ville BMS records I see (or in my old book) that the
 E/BMS is around 260 mph while other classes , A,B,C D or slower than that.
 The E size was running in the lowes class that he qualified for so he could
 not set records in the othr classes even though it looks like he had the
 capability to do so. Build the vehicle for a specific class then run in
 that class. Iffn you change motors to different sizes though you could run
 in those classes.

 Here's how I would work the points thing...

 I show up in my wildly throbbing Twin Turbo D/BMS (red of course) and
 during the run, I reach the existing record and exceed it by 5 mph.

 Here is what my points would look like:
 Show up at starting line................ 25 points
 meet or exceed min or record............100 points
 exceed record ............................5 points (1 point or fraction
 thereof for every mph over record:if run was only 0.001 over record then
 you only get 0.001 points )
 TOTAL...................................130 points

 My competition shows up (nah, no competition in my class). And he runs over
 the record but just by 2 mph.

 Here is what his points look like:
 Show up.................25 points
 meet record............100 points
 exceed record ...........2 points
 TOTAL..................127 points

 The next guy shows up but his car doesn't cut it and he only runs 80% of
 the record/minimum.

 Here is what his points look like:
 Show up.................25 points
 meet record.............80 points
 exceed record ...........0 points
 TOTAL..................105 points

 This shows how good the competition really was.

 This forces everybody to run like a banshee everytime. No sandbagging or
 class jumping. And I think this is fairly simple to set up in excel
 spreadsheet and automate it (I think).

 My $0.02 worth and worth every bit of it!!

Mayf,
    Points (pardon the pun) well taken. We in the group appreciate it when
members take the time and thought to come up with suggestions, even though I
too am not a member of ECTA...................Ardun Doug in CA