Re: 4 speed

To: "Dick Jurkowski" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, <Nsmcafee@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: 4 speed
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:11:16 -0500
OK Dick,

Now that you've asked. I've set records with 2-speeds, 3-speeds and
4-speeds. There are lots of factors that effect your transmission choice.
Length of course, engine HP and internal HP loss. As an example a 2-speed
isn't a great choice for a one mile run at Maxton but works sufficiently
well on the five miles of Bonneville. Believe it or not LSR is just a long
drag race. Having the right number of gears and gear ratios is important for
exceleration...and exceleration does have some effect on top end
speeds...not huge but probably in the 1 to 5 MPH range.

Having said all that, it's my belief that you can also overdo it too. Don't
forget it takes HP to run the trans...automatics are horrible...but
overdrives are less than ideal (some worse than other) also. Keith wants to
run a Richmond 6-speed in his Camaro this year. Well I'll bet him a buffet
dinner at the Stateline that he goes as fast or faster, at Bonneville, with
a properly geared 4-speed as he can with the six speeder. I'm getting hungry
just thinking about it.

I'm also working on a super close ratio 4-speed for the Chevette in 2000.

John Beckett