Interest in running a ECTA event in 2000 with a Micro-Sprint

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Interest in running a ECTA event in 2000 with a Micro-Sprint
From: "Littlefield, Ralph E" <Ralph.Littlefield@PHL.Boeing.com> (by way of "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>)
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 17:07:20
I surfed onto the Bonneville web page and at the bottom was your
organizations web page. Going to you ECTA web page was very interesting. I
had heard rumors of  East Coast Land Speed events but thought that it wasn't
really true- much to my surprise it is true.

I race a 250CC 2 cycle Micro-Sprint at Airport Speedway
(airportspeedway.com) near Wilmington, De. We race on dirt and our track is
small (1/8th mile). Our cars have competed at Harrington Fairgrounds track,
a 1 mile sand oval track- they do fly at that track. We also have a 125CC 2
cycle & a 600 CC 4 cycle class also.

What I would like to ask is are sprint type cars eligible to compete in
these events?? We push start and only have a single rear axle brake. Usually
we run wings but for max speed that would be too much drag. I'm sure our
cars would be in your slowest class (the E class I think). I know I would
like to try this. I have looked over your tech sheet and feel I could get
the car to pass inspection fairly easily. Have any Micro's ever tried
running there???

I did see a picture of a enduro kart in you pictures- if they can compete we
should be able to also as we have a full roll cage of 1 1/4" X .065 wall
chrome-moly, full 5 point harness, arm restraints. The only thing we do not
have is collapsible steering columns, are they required on all vehicles or
just the ones over a certain speed range??. Also only one rear brake OK?? or
is 4 wheel brakes required??

Looking forward to hearing from you

Ralph E. Littlefield
President- Boeing Auto club
610-591-4754 W  302-239-3587 H
ralph.e.littlefield@boeing.com

Important safety tip- the brakes are useless
when your upside down.