Many classes

To: Tom Bryant <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Subject: Many classes
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 16:06:14 -0700
Tom, List,
Tom, your comment about the number of classes reminds me of something I
heard maybe thirty years ago from a long time salt racer who was moaning
about the number of new classes.  His complaint was something like "It's
just so all the guys on the Board of Directors can get their buddies in the
2 Club."
Has the recognition a driver gets from setting a new record been diluted by
the number of records available and the number of "soft" records or open
classes in the '80's on until today?  How about the idea of not only setting
a record but blasting it out of reach.  That attitude has replaced the
rather "gentelman's club" attitude of  raiseing an existing record by a few
mph and then trying to get a crew member/friend a record in the same car
Do you think there are too many classes and too many members in the 2Club?
What about class "minimums" from the 2Club, not the governing body
certifying the records?
Any comments or opinions from the group?
Wes ... with my feet toward the hot stove.