Re: Drag n STuff

To: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>,
Subject: Re: Drag n STuff
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 10:35:09 -0500
Heres some additional info. Published in "Race Car Aerodynamics". Based for
the most part on '80 to '85 cars:

Car                           Cd           Frontal (m squared)

VW Beetle               .48-.49    1.80
VW Golf GTI            .35-.36    1.91
Ford Escort XR 3i    .37-.38    1.85
Opel Kadette GSi    .30-.31    1.90
Toyota Camry          .37-.38    1.94
Honda Accord          .40-.41    1.88
Mazda 323                .41-.42    1.78
Mercedes 280 SE    .36-.37    2.15
Mazda 929 GLX      .39-.44    1.93
Porsche 911            .40-.41    1.80
Nissan 300 ZX        .33-.36    1.82
Mazda 626 coupe  .34-.36    1.88
Honda CRX            .35-.37    1.72
Corvette                  .36-.38    1.80
Camaro Z28          .37-.38    1.94
Mazda RX 7           .36-.39    1.69

Sorry there isn't more American stuff.

Open wheels, independent of the car body, and rotating, have a Cd of .18 to
.38 depending on width (up to 13" wide). Non rotating is .27 to .90.

John "Cd" Beckett