new to list

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: new to list
From: Ronald_B_Anderson@notes.seagate.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 10:57:28 -0700
Hello Bryan-

Welcome to the fastest land sport in the world!

You ought to check out http://www.saltflats.com, which has good info on starting
out. You should get a rule book ASAP for only $10. The 2000 year rule book is to
be published in 1 or 2 weeks, I've heard. This rule book is shared with the
other sanctioning body, SCTA-BNI, so you can pick which of the two annual events
you want to go with. Their web site is http://www.scta-bni.org. Figure out what
class you will enter, I assume B/GT with your 406 ci. Then look up the record
you may try to beat, and the 200 MPH Club entry speed you need to acheive to get
into that distinguished club. You'll find both will be well over 200.000. Also
check out the C/GT record holder's site, Ed Van Scoy, at
http://vette.org/DCA/Members/EdLindaVanScoy/ for interesting info.

I can answer your gearing question precisely if you give me your transmission's
highest two gears ratio, besides the 3.08 rear end you already mentioned. Also,
tire size, from which I obtain tire diameter goes into the equation. Roughly,
the 3.08 in a '86 Vette should work to something over 200 MPH.

--- Ron