Re: high speed chase

To: Dale & Evelyn Thomas <bikerschoice@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: high speed chase
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:34:08 -0800
Dale,

I fully understand what you are saying and I agree that we should not
put the public at risk unnecessarily. Personally, I believe having a "no
chase" policy is a greater risk to the public. If someone runs from the
police, it is usually more than a misdemeanor they are trying to avoid,
and the officer has to make a judgment call. This is only one of the
problems that has been thrust on us by the society we live in.

I'm from a generation where respect for the law was taught and enforced
in the home. In my opinion, the issue we are talking about is a result
of not respecting the rules and those that enforce them. It is about
accepting responsibility for our actions. Many other problems we face
today have the same basis. We cannot make life free of risks and still
get the protection we really want. We have to enforce the laws if we are
to remain a free society. Lawbreakers must answer for their actions,
this is not an ego trip for the officers, they are placing themselves at
risk to keep us safe. Let's not handcuff them more than we already have.

Tom, I'm still for hot pursuit, Redding CA