Re: (no subject)

To: "David Haller" <dhaller@techline.com>
Subject: Re: (no subject)
From: "Hyatt Engineering Ltd." <Hyatt-Engineering-Ltd@fuse.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 20:12:15 -0500
Dave,
Check out the thread that ArdunBill started back on the 3rd regarding the
use of Magnesium as a sacrificial anode to prevent corrosion. That thread
addressed cylinder heads, but the technique has been used to protect
underground tanks, and even the original trans-Atlantic cable.  A chemist
friend of mine thinks that to protect a car, the magnesium anode must be
grounded to short past the insulating tires. It may look a little strange to
have the car staked in the yard... but if it keeps the thing from rusting it
might be worth the verbal abuse.  If there are copper water pipes in your
garage you might use them as a ground, or you could always drill a hole in
the floor and drive in a ground rod!
I recently found a couple of big scrap magnesium castings so I will give it
a try.  I will let you know in a year or so if it works.
Greg