Re: Tachs one more time

To: mdthom@radiks.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tachs one more time
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:07:29 EST
In a message dated 01/21/2000 6:20:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mdthom@radiks.net writes:

<<
 Group

 I think the use of a tach to hit the shift points is overrated.  We ran the
 Goldenrod streamliner one year in high gear only (after a gearbox
 malfunction) and it made no difference in 5 miles- 181.5 mph on gas with an
 unblown flathead. It chugged for a mile and a half and hit the quarter time
 very close to the speed we had with a 4-speed.

 In my old age I have gone to a shift light so I don't have to use my
 bifocals to see and mount the light way out on the hood scoop.  This is also
 a good way for the rookie driver to set his speed.

 Dave in Lincoln
 Ask me what my state motto is.
 #322 XXFBFMR

Dave,
    That 181 run must have been in the "good-old-days" when streamliners were
automatically long-course qualified. I don't recall seeing that perk in the
rule book lately. Anybody know if it's still the case?

Ardun Doug, XXF/STR, near the Left Coast in CA