concerning tires

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: concerning tires
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:09:20 -0600
Howdy,
A few of questions and observations:
        I'm running "H" rated street radials on my H/CC at the Salt, they have
an
aggressive tread design, and one of the safety techs said that I should
shave the tread for better speed. Somewhere I read that the coefficient of
friction of the Salt is on the order of cold wet asphalt, and my feelings
were (when I purchased the tires) that the aggressive tread would help in
traction. my speeds are 130-150, (150 hope full, anyway) Any thoughts here?
        Also, I've been reading Forbes Aird 's book "Aerodynamics" published by
HPBooks1997, he has a very good section on tires and rolling resistance at
the Salt, and it states in a passage relating to the Summers Brothers
Goldenrod that the tires soaked up 61% of the total drag at the record
speed, although the tire model used in the equation was based on 60 year
old data... are there any newer equations available? anybody know how to
test rolling resistance? or where I can get the info to do a rolling
resistance test?
        Another book I just picked up and although it is directed at and about
the
solar vehicles built at various universities,  is "The Leading Edge" by
Goro Tamai, published by Robert Bentley1999. This book is focused on low
speed aerodynamics and many of the concepts can be transferred to LSR.
Although it does have advanced math in it, with the limited algebra I
studied in high school, (well OK attended class and worried about pimples,
girls and cars) I am able to follow most of it....probably because I read
the Aird book first, easily understood math in it.
        Two years or so ago, Motion Software (the Desktop Dyno people) were
developing a game/engine test software about Bonneville. It seems to have
been in development, and then it died, anybody heard of it? got any insight
about why the program went away? they don't seem to answer their email,
although they are still in business. I'd like to get my hands on it, just
to play with it.
        anybody got any other reading material they'd like to share?
        anyway, that's about it for now, drive careful

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316