Re: prep for accidents

To: Jonathan Amo <webmaster@amoproductions.com>,
Subject: Re: prep for accidents
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 06:09:33 -0800 (PST)

--- Jonathan Amo <webmaster@amoproductions.com>
wrote:

> but it is
> human nature to freeze or lock up when
> something happens for real, under
> that kind of stress, the mind can go blank,

That's exactly why they practice such procedures.
 Its not really human nature for the mind to go
blank - - only when the choices of what do do are
confusing.  If you practice, then there is no
confusion.  If pilots didn't practice until it
was reflex, believe me, you'd hear of a lot more
about fighter planes falling in peoples back
yards more often.  I mean, think about it - a
fire in a spinning car at 200+.  You've got
several things to do - I don't even know what
they are, probably different from one driver/car
to another, but let's say put it in neutral,
power disconnect, fire bottle, chute - in that
order, just for sake of argument.  If you try to
do all that with your right hand you are wasting
time.  if you cross hands you are wasing time. If
ylu have to look down to find the fire button you
are wasting valuable eyes on time on something
else.  If you pull the chute first my guess it's
too soon.  I don't know, I'm just thinking out
loud here for you guys who understand this to
chime in.  I've never been there in a car at
200+, but I have been there in a plane at 700+,
and in a helicopter at 120+ at 10 feet above tree
tops, and I know it has to be reflex to be of any
real value.  Tiny little mistakes at the kinds of
speed we enjoy can be very unforgiving.

=====
......(In East Texas)........
....FX/GMR  SC/P250-2........