Re: Tuning Mechanical Fuel Injection

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Tuning Mechanical Fuel Injection
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:51:36 -0800
Group,

I have done much experimenting with air scoops, not very scientific
though I might add. I know some things that don't work, at least not for
me.

I had the idea that if a small scoop was good, then a big one would be
better. Wrong! As Bill Hurt, (Herbert Streamliner Engineer) explained to
me, there are two kinds of pressure involve with a scoop, velocity
pressure (gets the air into the scoop) and static pressure (the needed
pressure to keep the air in the scoop. With a large scoop lots of air
gets in the scoop, but only that which the static pressure captures
stays. Results, turbulence!

I had a couple of problems with the large scoop. First, the pressure
build up pushes fuel out the idle air bleeds onto the manifold. I think
that any scoop that is working will give you this problem, so plug the
air bleeds if you have them. I replaced the injector nozzle lines a
couple of times because of small fires in the shutdown process. The
second problem was aerodynamic disturbance that caused ill handling and
spins.

I now have a scoop that is calculated to flow the amount of air needed
to supply the engine at the speed I expect to run. Tom Burkland
suggested this scoop design. Calculate the amount of air that the engine
displaces at your expected RPM over a mile of distance. What you want to
end up with is an opening in the scoop that will equal a column of air a
mile long that provides the air needed.

If you want the formula, I can provide it.

Tom, Redding CA #216 D/CC