RE: Tuning Mechanical Fuel Injection

To: "'Thomas E. Bryant'" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>, ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: RE: Tuning Mechanical Fuel Injection
From: "Parks, David" <David.Parks@lfr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:58:22 -0800
If your nozzles are below the butterflies (which is most always the case)
the air bleeds help to prevent manifold vacuum from sucking gas out of the
nozzles (with associated BAD idling). I ran nozzles without air bleeds on my
turbo setup since they would be under pressure at boost and blowing fuel out
the air bleeds is not a good idea. The nozzles were in the traditional
location to begin with but we moved them to above the butterflies later to
avoid the vacuum problem at closed throttle. I'm sure their location above
the butterflies is less than ideal, but at least the car doesn't loads up at
idle. I understand that some later models of Hilborns vent the air bleed to
the injector body above the butterflies, and this would probably prevented
that problem, but I had the old ones, so we made do.

David, sunny So Cal, #317 C/BGC, C/BGALT