Re: Was Hemi / Opel from Niagara ?

To: joetimney@dol.net, americanpartner@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Was Hemi / Opel from Niagara ?
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 13:41:37 EST
         Joe ,   You are probably right  -----  I  had  his  ( Jim  Oddy )
name in the
aging memory banks in regards to a  Hemi - Opel  that  I have only read about
,
never actually seen  .  Would have to dig thru too many old drag mags to
verify
that , so didn' t mention him  .  Maybe he and  Jim  Zakia were both involved
with
Opel drag cars ,  or  possibly the  SAME  Opel   ?     I   don' t have the
facts on
this ,  but , as you know ,  Jim  Oddy  is a highly respected engine builder ,
especially here in the  Northeast ,  although  I  believe he has relocated his
business to the  Sarasota ,  Florida  area  .    Speaking of  Opels ,  for a
time  I
used to ride to work with a young guy in his  Opel  Kadett ,  and he was
constantly
trying to impress me with his great ability at handling this nimble little
car in tight
traffic and around curves where he was way over his head ( ? ) and ability  .
  He
seemed to delight in cutting off trailer trucks ,  and any other truck or
large car ,
and derived great pleasure from  " ultra tailgating "  large trucks ,
especially if
they were doing  70 or better  -----  I  mean like  4  feet  behind the
truck' s rear  !
      I  can still picture those channel iron rear truck bumpers right at my
eye level,
and  JUST  ahead of the hood  ------  my eyes must have looked like saucers  !
      The final straw came one morning when he was running later than usual ,

so picked the pace up a little ,  and plowed off the road on a curve ,
directly at
a huge rock ledge ,  which was the last thing I  saw ,  and to this day  I
have no
idea of how that  Opel  did  NOT  plaster itself  (  AND  US  ) all over that
ledge  !!!
     After getting a " normal " ride home with another co - worker  that
evening ,   I
informed my wife that she and  Douglas would be " grounded "  for the rest of
the week ,  during the day ,  as  I  needed her car for work until  I
finished the
small block swap on my car  .     It all worked out  OK  , and about a year
later
another friend told me that my former  " chauffer " had lost his license for
several
years for  ------  what a  SURPRISE  ------  reckless  driving  !
             He would have been something with a  HEMI  in  it  ----------
         maybe a few more dollars in an undertaker' s  pocket   ?
   Bruce  F .  in   warming up  Connecticut  ---------
            Thanks  for  the  degrees ,  Skip  ,  how  much  is  the  postage
 ?