Re: Batteries

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Batteries
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:45:39 -0500
Dan, List,

  I had an opportunity to test a couple Optima batteries when that company
was trying to get a Government contract.  The tech rep that came out wanted
to demonstrate just how well sealed and durable the batteries were, so we
all took turns throwing them up in the air out in the parking lot.  After
several rounds of seeing who could get the greatest distance on their throw
we were all convinced that none of the gel was likely to ever leak out in
normal use (or abuse).  The way the gel is spiral wound around the plates
it's designed to take a serious beating.  The only thing likely to make the
acid gel splash around in a vehicle would be direct gunfire, and that's not
really a problem on the salt.  BTW, the batteries still held a charge after
their test flights.

Chuck "wouldn't have believed it if'n I hadn't seen it myself" Rothfuss
Pole Cat Hollow, NC