Re: Programs to help LSR Racers

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Programs to help LSR Racers
From: "Hyatt Engineering Ltd." <Hyatt-Engineering-Ltd@fuse.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:09:11 -0500
George,
I am also new to LSR, and building a non-traditional car.  With no history
of empirical data to rely on your program would be a fantastic help.  I am
only an amateur programmer so I stuck with Excel spreadsheets this time.
However my problem has been excessive discrepancies between the various
algorithms proposed to calculate the rolling resistance of the tires.  At
high speed the pessimistic algorithms predict more than twice the drag of
the optimistic algorithms. As I am working on a small streamliner with low
frontal area, the rolling resistance might contribute to more of the drag
than the aerodynamics. With uncertain algorithms for the most critical
component of the drag calculation my Excel program is no better than a SWAG.
I would be glad to share what I have done with you, but unless someone out
there can help us determine which models best represent the unique rolling
resistance of the salt at high speed, there is not much point in it.
The two most credible models I have found are from Hoerner and Dayman.
Which of these two have proven to be the most accurate? Is anyone using
anything else ?
Greg