Re: cranks and pistons

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>, <LGMCAFEE@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: cranks and pistons
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:07:16 -0600
Actually a 2.90 crank most often is a 3.00 Large Rod journal crank ....
Offset ground to a small Journal   ...... That is a you start with a 2.100
rod journal and grind , 100 off one side so to speak to create a 2.90 stroke
Small journal Crank....

If you stop and think a minute about this... the Crank Grinder isn't going
to be your average guy... he needs to make sure the Crank is indexed
correctly and so on....  I have one and the first time my Machinest saw
it... His comments were.... well there is more then a Grand in Machine work.

Patterson Racing is a Well Respected Competition Eliminator Motor builder
for NHRA drag racing.... and the rules fluxuate enough that some times these
little motors are out there reasonably Priced.  I talked to them the other
day in my search for a 280-285 stroke crank.... and NEW they cost $2700 for
the best Patterson has to offer. Cheapest date.... was around $1400

Keith