"Shooting the messenger ?"

To: "Land-speed@autox.team.net" <Land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: "Shooting the messenger ?"
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 17:53:40 -0500
A lot of reaction to my prompt on topics that might be discussed in
Jonathon Amo's chat session.
Why shoot the messenger then flame him as well, the temperature in the UK
wen't up to boiling point !?  I have to defend some of the 'attacks' which
relate to the the rocket bike, which I will do in a moment.
I am not employed by the FIA or the FIM, all I did was tell the list how
they accept records on an International basis.  To correct Louise - Al
Teague and Bill Summers do not hold 'World Records' - they are both
International Automobile class record holders, with one the fastest blown
car and the other the fastest unblown car in the World.
Wes, Tom and Glen - I have never criticised tha accuracy of timing at
Bonneville but that is only one element of setting records.  (Thanks to Ron
Christensen for pointing out the greatest difference is on the one hour
turn around rule).
I cannot speak for Andy Green, but you all know he was to drive the
'conventional' MG at Bonneville, just for a timing slip.  Both Andy Green
and Richard Noble were honoured by fellow racers with 200 mile per hour
club memberships - very heartening as neither set their records on the salt
flats.
Most people over here know nothing about Nolan Whites 442 mph - are there
more details ?
If the list arguments are accurate, why do US racers such as Pat
Rummerfield, Bruce Linsemyer and Don Vesco wish to have FIA recognition as
well as their SCTA/BNI records ?
I have never /  would never make any disparaging remarks about any
Bonneville record holder or 'garbage' their efforts.  Please read what is
written in my e mails, do not add any phrases I would never utter.  I met
many racers at the 50th Bonneville in 1998 and some were a great help on
the salt last September at our private attempt.
Joe - I have no worries about Team Maximum Impulse missing the FIM record
or indeed any record.  On a first attempt and with just seven powered runs
we proved a lot of new technology works safely and the team can operate
well.  As only the FIM recognise our thrust powered two wheeler we have to
work with them and the AMA.   As we cannot run the rocket bike at any
organised Bonneville event, we will never know what we would claim under
'your' rules.  (The teams objective had to be a FIM World Record in their
thrust powered class).
Glen and Wes - Any safety slurs against the rocket bike are uncalled for -
did you see the bike close too ?  How many engineers on the list came to
see it run and have inspected the bike ?
The AMA have a construction report which I believe shows that Richard built
the most tested two wheeled design ever.  For reasons that the designers
felt were best for the type of vehicle created, there are two areas where
SCTA motorcycle tech inspection would probably have turned us away.  If
anyone knows what those two items are, without guessing, post them to the
list !!
I don't take an interest in Boxing and I don't drink much tea, but I deal
with motorsports governing bodies in England, Europe and the USA and have
to live most of the time with a European preference for FIA and FIM rules.
When I get a badge which says something other than "Bonneville Nationals"
and more than two countries adopt USA class rules and operating procedures,
then we all may see a change to the facts of International and World
recognition.
Malcolm, "still feeling singed and warm", Pittwood, Derby, England.