Re: "Shooting the messenger ?"

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Shooting the messenger ?"
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 01:37:25 EST
In a message dated 03/01/2000 10:11:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wspotter@jps.net writes:

<<
 No Malcolm,

 It's not the messenger, it's the attitude; which is as sensitive as the one
 which prompted the Boston Tea Party.  We "Colonials" are perfectly capable
 of doing something the FIA, FIM, and other foreign "Governing" bodies used
 to have a purpose for doing.  No more!

 In other replies, it has been mentioned that the FIA and its predecessors
 have been certifying records since before WW I.  The primary need then for
 the FIA was supplying the most accurate timing equipment and standardized
 rules available.  Not today.  Their antiquated and largely unrealistic
 classifications for land-speed racing, as has also been brought out, are for
 engine displacement only, ignoring body types.  Who can relate their
 classifications to real life land-speed racing?  How many on this list could
 explain their classes?  This is about as provincial an attitude as can be
 found when an active racing community has grown beyond those limitations.
 Look at the wider variety of FIM motorcycle classifications, (don't the
 tricycle tracked jet cars run under their classes)?

 I'm not doubting the reasons for people like Mark Lingua, Fred Larsen, The
 Danny Boy crew of Richard Thomason and Ed Tradup, Harry Hoffman or other
 Hot-Rod racers who have FIA records.  Each has approached their FIA mark for
 a different reason.  The fact they set their records under FIA rules rather
 de-fuses the one hour turn around argument doesn't it?

 There are, as with your Gillette Mach 3 Deal, some serious sponsorship and
 advertising dollars available which are tied into FIA and FIM records.  Your
 team  largely lost more of those dollars (or pounds) when you couldn't back
 up your run.  You are actively looking for another sponsor to get you
 another try.  I don't see that as sport but as commerce.

 I hate to see a sport which has been largely free of the intense pressures
 of sponsors have to depend on those financial deals.  If we can keep those
 deals as isolated as possible I truly believe it will make for a healthier
 sport.  There have always been sponsors at Bonneville events but in the
 distant past they were there as more of a public relations service for all
 racers as represented by Firestone with their tires and Champion with spark
 plugs.  Their representatives became good friends of all the racers as they
 returned year after year.  Today there isn't big money represented on the
 salt that way, they go to CART and NASCAR events instead.  We occasionally
 get a manufacturer to send their technical people to the events but as the
 racers have become more skilled the need has been served quite well by
 people like Rick Gold and others from ERC or tech inspectors who make
 suggestions based on their own experience and very skilled racers who
 willingly share their knowledge.

 Most often it is one company, most usually the racers full time employer,
 who funnels money to one specific car or bike.  The ever increasing cost of
 racing will make more racers look for sponsor dollars but at what emotional
 cost to the individual racers and the overall health of the sport?

 What about the racer who can do it without the big dollars?  That's what we
 cheered when the Shadoff Special eclipsed the Auto Union record.  When the
 first runs were proposed on the salt by hot rodders they were told the FIA
 record for the one displacement class most of their engines would fall into
 was that Auto Union 217 mph.  Would we be happy with everyone running on
 that one same record classification today?  Are you kidding?

 On one hand we have big dollars coming to individual attempts like your
 project.  On the other we have organizations like USFRA and SCTA/BNI who
 have to scrape for every dollar they can to keep staging these events.
 These are not money makers.  If event workers were paid what they are worth
 and gate fees were in line with the quality of racing and equipment people
 see on the salt, prices would skyrocket.  Perhaps we should make an
 exception for the racers with deep pockets behind them and factor their
 entry fees to reflect their sponsors involvement.  Would we happily accept
 several thousand dollars from a heavily sponsored racer?  What would a
 sponsor demand in return?  Do we want to know?  Would the FIA be more
 interested in, and responsive to, the sport if there were many more dollars
 in it for them?  That is one answer we all know.

 Do blatantly commercial record attempts like your rocket bike represent a
 threatening cancer which could kill the sport.  That I don't know.  If they
 do may you get more than singed!  It might be a very good reason for
 shooting the messenger.

 I'm speaking for myself.  I have been enamored with land-speed racing for
 over fifty years.  I want kids visiting the Bonneville Salt Flats today to
 have every opportunity for life long love affairs with land-speed racing
 there too.

 Of that I am very sure!

Amen, Wes. It couldn't have been said better. Malcolm, are you getting the
message yet? You and yours are obviously on a different mission with
different goals than we "Backyard-Yanks" that love our desert land speed
racing so very much.
    Group, lets get back to wrenching in preparation for the 2000 LSR season
instead of spending time responding to those who seem more interested in
"stirring-the-pot" (of tea?) than racing................Ardun Doug in CA