Welding Old Steel

To: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>,
Subject: Welding Old Steel
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:00:05 -0800 (PST)
I encountered a curios thing gas welding on the
body of my 1925 Dodge last night. As the metal
began to puddle, it turned visibly silver.  It
didn't just go red then puddle.  At first I
thought I was over an old leaded seam, but I
found that it did the same thing no matter where
I welded on the old sheet metal.  I also found
the welding very easy. I was welding up fatigue
cracks in metal not much thicker than a sheet of
paper.  Almost easier than brazing.  Is this
because of a higher nickel or tin content in the
steel or something?

=====
......(In East Texas)........
....FX/GMR  SC/P250-2........