Re: TLC disappointed,showcased LSR Racing, Bonneville' s Beauty

To: dhaller@techline.com, webmaster@amoproductions.com,
Subject: Re: TLC disappointed,showcased LSR Racing, Bonneville' s Beauty
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:53:14 EST
      Dave,  Jonathan,  Louise,  list  :     I  would imagine that the
majority of us
here on the list were disappointed at the absence of cars other than the
liners,
and only the fastest of them,  at that .    We know of the many,  many finely
engineered and crafted racecars, in a large variety of classes, that are to
be seen
by all in attendance, not only at the events at  Bonneville,  but also those
held at
El  Mirage,  Muroc,  and  Maxton .   Let' s be grateful that a full two hours
of
prime time coverage was given to showcasing the sport of  Land  Speed  Racing,
with some historical background added in,  and it also did a  very good job,
in
my opinion, of depicting the vast and unique settings where these ultimate
speed
records are pursued .   We have already seen previous programs that  DID
afford
more coverage to other classes of racing vehicles to be found at these top
speed
events, and ,  hopefully,  more will be produced in the future !
     I  believe  Louise hit the nail on the head in her observation that the
programs
must have a certain amount of dramatical content in them to please the general
viewing audience, and thus the main focus was on the  FASTEST  cars,  and
the  AMAZING  SPEEDS  they attain ...........  THIS  is what would hold most
viewer' s interest .      Haven' t we  ALL  been at car shows where the most
often heard question by  Joe  Average  Onlooker  is  "  How  FAST  will it go
??? "
     This program did deliver on that score ...........  it did show very
fast racecars,
and told the viewer how very fast they can be made to go ............and will
almost
certainly account for  MORE  newcomers visiting future events  .    I  know
it
was a  BIG  inspiration for a lot of racers to get hot on getting their cars
ready  !!!
      All in all ,  I will say  "  Well  Done ! " to the producers ,  but to
those of us
who had hoped for more variety, more details , more of the weird and wonderful
mix of lakesters and liners, coupes and roadsters,  bikes and bellytankers,
Diesels
and doorslammers ................  let me remind you what a song told us
somewhere
back in the  60s ............ "  You can' t always  GET  what you  WANT
      Itching to be out on the salt ....... lakebed ....... concrete strip at
 Maxton  !!!
                                                                   Bruce