Bonneville coverage

To: land-speed list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonneville coverage
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:51:09 -0700
Pioneer Productions who produced the program last night has done some other
fine programs about Bonneville in the past.  They attempt to give some
exposure to what is largely a mystery sport to all but a very small core of
fans.  Their coverage, just in the broader shots leading in to the show,
gave at least a feel for what goes on out there ... a big plus for everyone
concerned and a nice souvenir for Tom Bryant.
My E-mail today has had several inquiries on ticket prices and dates as well
as requests for other specific information, all as a result of those shows.
Phone callers are amazed that they don't have to hock the furniture to pay
for admission.
As has been mentioned, money is what gets the coverage.  Speedvision is not
interested in the salt flats and land-speed racing until we get a major
sponsor involved ... most of you know how soon we want that.  We would have
to give up a lot.
Word of mouth is still the best advertising.  We have to tell our friends.
There are thousands of "geezers" out there who used to read the car
magazines when they covered racing on the salt.  Now they are getting to the
point that they can do the things they dreamed about as kids.  They are
showing up with families in tow to see what they have missed.  They go home
from the salt wanting to come back ... they caught Salt Fever.
The racers who are friendly, answer questions and generally act themselves
are what brings those people back.  We all owe a big thank you to those
great builders, drivers and pit crews for being patient and friendly.
Because of them the hundreds of other great individual stories may
eventually get coverage too.
Wes