Re: Oiling answers

To: "Richard Kensicki" <richk@sparta-junction.com>,
Subject: Re: Oiling answers
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:54:48 -0400
After having seen and hearing all the comments on Keith's oil
problem.I have the following thoughts. With a wet sump system there is
a need to keep the oil as far away from the crank as possible yet keep
enough oil in the pan to keep from cavitating the pump and also keep
the oil temp down. This is why you see some oil pans with kick outs in
the bottom of the sump. I agree that solid slit type windage trays do
nothing but bounce the oil back onto the crank adding more air to oil.
Seems the proper way to go is to widen the sump at the bottom, run a
screen type windage tray to break up the oil and help separate the air
from the oil. Do away with the dip stick,  to hard to tell the actual
level in relation to crank. We use to mark the side of the pan to show
bottom location of the crank. We then mounted a sight tube type level
gauge to the side of pan so we could actually tell at all times how
close we were to the crankshaft. Make sure you have the proper gap
between the pickup and the bottom of the pan. Too little you can
cavitate the pump too much and the oil might not reach the pick up all
the time. Oil viscosity is a strange thing, too thin it over heats and
breaks down.  In an ideal system there would be no metal to metal
contact. If the oil is too thin then it will be squeezed off the
bearing surface and you have scrub. Not a good thing.  A thicker oil
can cause a loss in horsepower, takes more to power to push it. It
also has more of a tendency to stay in places where you don't want it
to. Like the crank and sides of the block where it constantly drips
onto the crank causing aeration problems. I have know people to
re-route the oil drain backs from the heads and lifter valley using
tubing back to the pan. Oil viscosity has to be careful balanced so as
to prevent bearing damage yet not cause aeration problems. Just my
long winded self as usual running off at the mouth.

BillB