Re:Oiling!

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Oiling!
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 08:57:21 -0700
Keith,

Sorry I haven't jumped in sooner with my views on your oiling problems,
but I have been busy trying to get my computer to be more useful in my
life. It is a business and pleasure unit that is getting too full to
function well. After several attempts at restoring the programs,
updating, etc., I finally went out yesterday and bought a 10.2 GB hard
drive to add to the 2.1 GB. Now maybe I can do all the things I want
without be concerned with overload. I guess you might say that I am
"hopping it up", they assured me that it would also be faster.

Since this might be of interest to others, I have responded to the group
as well. Over the years I have used several configurations to meet my
oiling needs. I can tell you some things that haven't worked! I
originally ran a Desoto V-8, normal oil pressure was in the 60 lb range.
We boosted the pressure by adding shims behind the relief valve in the
pump. Of course through experiment, I found that a gear pump will put
out lots of pressure without adequate maximum pressure control, too much
pressure can be harmful to the engine just as too little pressure can.
After a while we settled for 100 lbs. as a good number. All of this was
done with a stock oil pan and really not oil pressure problems.

When we switched to the Chevrolet engine, it was really difficult to get
accustomed to oil pressure needs. After a few filter failures, we
settled for 60 lbs of pressure with good success. The Chevy system moves
a lot of oil at the lower pressures. This of course requires can present
problems of oil return to the pan on long runs. I'm sure that you have
restricted the upper oiling, adequate engine breathing is also a must to
let the oil return to the sump. We have evolved from a stock pan, to a
six quart pan, to a custom 8 quart pan with kickouts on the sump, to our
present dry sump.

The dry sump is the best way to go, but the 8 quart pan worked fine for
me. the reason for the dry sump was to get lower profile ground
clearance. We use a teflon windage tray in our present setup and also
had one in the 8 quart system. At one time we also had a crank wiper,
but it is lots of work getting that setup prepared and I haven't
bothered with this system.

We use a 20/50 oil, although we don't have one, I think that an oil
heater is a good idea. I have run for several years without a dipstick,
but I'm not sure how I feel about this issue. With alky it is easy to
get too much alcohol into the oil by running too rich. I was on the low
side of the learning curve and didn't realize how quickly that could
happen, so I spun a bearing due to not being able to monitor the oil.
With the dry sump, I can look into the tank and keep on top of it that
way. The need for the dipstick, in my estimation, is not to make sure
that you have enough oil, but to make sure that it is not contaminated.

In my opinion the things to watch are: If you are using a high volume
pump, keep the oil pressure moderate. Be absolutely certain that no more
oil than is needed is getting to the engine. Plug all oil returns to the
pan except at the ends of the lifter galley. Use adequate venting of the
crankcase, a vacuum system would be encouraged. A good windage tray is a
must, making sure that the oil level is below that point. Use a good
custom oil pump pickup with proper clearance from the bottom of the pan.
That's my quarter's worth. Good Luck! BTW I'm a little jealous that you
left coast guys are aready racing. Of course I'm not ready anyway.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC