Solid Beam Axle Caster & Toe In

To: saltracer@awwwsome.com
Subject: Solid Beam Axle Caster & Toe In
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
I stopped by a local drag shop the other day with
my roadster on the trailer,  and the guy who
drives their 200 mph alcohol small block Chev
dragster commented that my roadster was going to
be a "lot of fun" (pun intended) to drive because
it had so little caster.  I mounted the front
Ford truck beam solid at 5 degrees.  He said they
run 25 degrees on the dragster, and 15 - 18
degrees on pro stockers that they build.  I'm
only looking at 125mph (if Im lucky) and the
wheelbase is about 97 inches.  Last month I
visited Don Garlits drag museum in Florida, and I
did notice that nearly all of the old-timer drag
cars he had there were running extraordinary
caster on beam axles.  A couple looked like they
may have had the axle tilted to 30 - 40 degrees.
I mean, those suckers were really canted back. I
searched through our list and got figures from
1.5 degrees to 12 degrees. What kind of guidance
can you guys who have run beam axles give me.
Should I re-mount my axle before I even leave for
the track (Maxton) the first time or do you think
it will be driveable with 5 degrees?

=====
......(In East Texas)........
.Hemis and Flatheads Forever.