re: oily tidbit

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: re: oily tidbit
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 08:55:21 -0500
Howdy, more leaks for sure, seems like sealing surfaces must be really
clean, flat etc. for the synthetic to stay where you want it. Lately, I've
been running mobil 1 at15% with conventional in my truck, just cause when
the Pig needs oil, I've got mobil1 in the garage (stocked up at a sale, for
the race car), and no conventional, so I'll dump that in. dont notice any
problems, minor oil seeps, and the traditional chevy valve guide burn on
startup......as soon as I get the rest of the tooling for cylinder heads,
I'll rebuild them...with real guides in the heads...instead of the cast
iron.....

>Subject: Re: Oily Tidbit
>To: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
>
>UH HUH, but this was in the "olden days", before
>current thought,  when syn oil first came out.
>The rings seemed to seat OK on that bike though.
>More recently though, in two cars, when I ran
>them on organic oil first then switched to syn,
>they seem to give a small puff of smoke when
>first started from cold with the new syn oil; and
>they seem to develop small oil leaks more often
>than when I stick with old fashioned oil.
>
>Dick J
>
>--- john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu> wrote:
> > Howdy, but isn't current thought that the rings
> > need conventional oil to
> > seat, before we apply synthetic oil?

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316