Be nitrous smart

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Be nitrous smart
From: Joe Amo <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 16:51:08 -0600
List, hate to open a can of worms that may make tech more difficult, but
this safety thing is just too damn important, and I firmly believe
ProActive thinking can go along way to diminish ignorance.
Keith, do you think even a billet aluminum box to enclose the bottle??
If the conditions are right........
http://www.enhancedhealth.com/NOS2.htm   (warning rocket scientist's and
others running 486 dx computers may have trouble with the connection
:):):))

I MUST EMPHASIS THAT I CANNOT KEEP DOING WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO WITHOUT
NITROUS, I MUST HAVE NITROUS, AND DO NOT WANT TO LOSE IT  I LOVE NITROUS
VERY VERY MUCH, DONT WANT INSURANCE COMPANIES OR OTHERS POLITICAL
ENTITIES TO INFRINGE ON MY LUST FOR THIS STUFF, JUST NEED TO ENSURE WE
ARE SMART, WE NEED PRESSURIZED GASES FOR MANY THINGS, JUST WANT TO
ENSURE KNOWLEDGE BASE AND AWARENESS FACILITATED

Taken from a dragbike racing forum, includes posts from some of the
industry leaders:

           By William H. Carpenter (premier motorcycle engine builder)
on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 01:36 am:

Now I have a set of pictures to show what a real nitrous explosion looks
like. At the recent
race at National Trail I observed an employee of MRE using 2 micro
torches to heat a
nitrous bottle. The girl was sitting on the ground with the torches
positioned such that a
mini rottisorie was created. I am sure that the girl did not know the
danger she and other
spectators were in as she would let the bottle "cook" then rotate it a
little then "cook" it
some more. If the sponsers and other heavy hitters are seen doing
dangerous and unsafe
acts in full view of the manufactures midway just exactly what is the
"little guy" suppose
to think. At least a bottle heater won't over heat one spot like those
micro torches can do.
A full size propane torch is easy to see but the little ones get just as
hot.

           By Kevin Ray on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 08:09 am:

So does this mean when someone jets hurt bad or worse killed , will we
all ( who don't use
a torch ) have to turn in our NoS bottles. Just like or guns are getting
taken away from
responsible people because a few don't respect rules or laws. Bottom
line make the
consequence's so bad they wont use a torch. Year suspension. There is no
gray area here.
I would think every one would know if there using a torch or not. Well
maybe.
Just my thought. Big

           By steve rice on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 03:42 pm:

I had the same opportunity to see the bottles being heated with torches
at National Trails.

           By T David Schnitz (owner Schnitz Racing)  on Friday, May 12,
2000 - 05:47 pm:

At the races, we have seen several bottles out there, that the owners
have taken the pop
off discs out, and replaced it with a 1/8" male pipe plug. These bottles
have to relief valve,
and will blow up just like the one in the picture.
I wonder if this bottle had a plug instead of the disc, or if the little
cooper disk was
replaced with a disc of steel ? I've seen hundreds of bottles blown off,
but never have
never seen an damage by one with the disc in place, it's almost
impossible. All bottles also
have an inspection date, when they are supposed to be re-tested, I've
never heard of
anyone enforcing or doing this either..

Joe Amo      :) :)