Re: Nitrous Safety

To: Bill Bennett <benettw@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Nitrous Safety
From: Joe Amo <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 19:47:44 -0600
Just to proove that our family is Polish, I will share another un-proud
moment, in response to:
"When hauling any large gas bottles always secure them and screw the
protective caps on. Knocking a valve off while traveling could ruin
ones race weekend."

a couple years ago "on the way to Bonneville" I was sleeping, wife driving
(same scenario as last year when the Bravada motor blew up.....hmmmm),
wife nudges me, pulled over, says "the nitrous bottle is gone", I said
"the one on the bike" (was mounted on the outside)  (at that time an open
trailer), she says "no the really big one", I said "&%%%^(" ,  then I
said  "how far back", she said "I am not sure, I saw some sparks awhile
ago but didnt know what it could be",  seems my mother who was trailing us
in her car was driving half asleep and did not see the 5 foot blue bottle
careening toward her at 75 mph!!!!!  we backed tracked 2 miles, I ran in
the ditch in 6 foot tall weeds/briar and unbelievably came across the
bruised, gashed and battered bottle (WITH THE PROTECTIVE CAP SCREWED ON),
Jon and I looked at each other, prayed and carried the nuclear bomb
(because my need for speed was stronger than other options) (which now had
a strange rattle, broken parts inside the bottle, dip tube?) to the car,
found the nearest welding shop to get it inspected, explained that the
bottle which was sinched down with ratchet straps with 2x4's screwed down
adjacent to the sides and end, worked its way out going down the 2 mile
steep hill headed toward Evansville Wy. and bounced down the highway, the
foreman said "its not hurt, its fine", it worked, and we eventually traded
it in for a full one later.   Why did I likely bore you with this?, not
sure, just a testament to the effectiveness of the safety cap, and to
explain my fear of sleeping "on the way to Bonneville" this year!!!

Joe :) :)