Nitrous Safety

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Nitrous Safety
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 20:25:38 -0400
With all this nitrous talk I thought I would like to mention a few
things just might help jog someone's mind.

When hauling any large gas bottles always secure them and screw the
protective caps on. Knocking a valve off while traveling could ruin
ones race weekend.

Nitrous is very "Flammable". Transporting it across some states
without proper permits and warning signs might cost more than the race
car. I know I probably opened a can of worms here , but it is safety
they are concerned with. I have a friend who is on the local Fire
Department here. He told me of a garage fire they responded to. It was
a Mustang on fire in a detached garage. (Sorry Jon). When they enter
the garage one of the firemen notice 2 gas bottles showing in the back
hatch. The owner was asked about them and replied "Nitrous" the
firemen were forced to back out and just try to keep the fire knocked
down. Needless to say it was a total loss. Had he removed the bottles
and stored them outside of the garage he might have something to save.
I know what a pain, but the Fire Department values their lives as much
as we do.

Nitrous is a wonderful thing , but it deserves respect as much as
oxygen and acetylene. N20 ain't no laughing matter. Treat it with
respect and it will reward you in many extra horses.

Just me rambling again,

BillB