Re: LSR list -- rear steer

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LSR list -- rear steer
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:05:42 -0500
Howdy,
         I am aware of the Bucky car, but had not thought of driver
position....I'll do a lookup on this, thanks,
         I don't see how the Thrust' steering box would stop feedback to
the driver, feedback for a driver is a combination of vision and inner ear,
and response requires a high amount of hand coordination. Granted there is
feedback through the steering, but I believe it to be minimal.....compared
to vision and inner ear.........

At 09:06 AM 5/26/00 , you wrote:

>Hello John.
>I've been following the land-speed@autox.team.net list for some time.
>I'm surprised no one has mention Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion car.
>I believe one reason it worked was that the driver was in front of the
>front wheels. (I used metacrawler with "dymaxion car" to get about 25
>hits.)
>
>  Glynne Bowsher told me the big secret, if any, with ThrustSSC's steering
>was the worm and wheel gear box (Brit. for worm gear) which prevented
>confusing feedback from getting to the driver.
>
>After they set the first record at 714, Andy Green told me that he had no
>problem controlling the car. When the car got into the transonic range
>control turned to worms and rear steer didn't have much to do with it.
>It may have helped make the driver feel helpless, which he was, but front
>would not have changed that much if at all.
>

>Bryan

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316