Re: LSR list -- rear steer

To: V4GR@aol.com
Subject: Re: LSR list -- rear steer
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 12:31:44 -0500
Howdy,
         One of the reasons I have been pushing on this idea, is that I do
have aspirations to build a streamliner like this, I am looking for
reasons >Not< to do it, but so far, no one has convinced me that it can not
be accomplished. If someone didn't try to make a doorslammer go 295MPH+,
(or a steam engine 145+) or any other vehicle we race, why are we going to
the Salt? It sure ain't monetary gain.....most of the vehicles we race are
not conventional in the sense that each one is different, I mean there are
450+ classes... each vehicle >is< different....nobody is racing spec
racers....(I'm NOT advocating that either!) I think that the concept is one
that does intrigue others, some to try to point out possible faults, others
to try to learn,  every vehicle I have seen out at the Salt has taught me
something, doesn't matter if it were a motorcycle, or diesel truck, I
learned >something< while looking it over....I figure others are doing the
same by discussing this possiblilty....

At 11:55 AM 5/26/00 , you wrote:
>List; As was pointed out boats have rear steer and most of us have driven a
>boat without hitting anything. Also you can get turned by just using the
>rudder pedals, I guess, using up a lot of sky. Both of these vehicles have
>single point steering. In my mind the only car that would possibly benefit
>from rear steering would be a streamliner of the pollywog shape. And that
>might work.                                             Who would have ever
>thought so much could be written about something almost no one has any plan
>of trying?  Rich Fox

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316