Re: GPU or GPS?

To: "ghalvorson:First ghalvorson:Last" <ghalvorson@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: GPU or GPS?
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:25:05 -0700
Gene,
A guy I used to work with was given a hand held global position finder as a
Christmas gift.  Referred to it as a GPU.  He runs 100 mile races over
mountain passes and had become lost a couple of times training on the
course.  His wife gave him something to help find his way home.  I heard
both terms used at Ely and knowing very little about them I really didn't
hone in on accuracy ... sorry.   Apparently these are commonly used by the
racers who will run as fast as they can and then sandbag to get just under
the target speed they are gunning for.  A friend was running last September
using stop watches and seat of the pants ... came in 4th in class, just
hundredths of a second behind the first three who were all using the global
positioning.  He felt very fortunate to finish that close but also slowed
slightly the last couple of miles thinking he was a fraction too fast.
Ed Van Scoy would be the person of choice to answer you.
Wes