Re; Memorial weekend

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re; Memorial weekend
From: brian falkner <falken@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:30:01 +1000
I'm with you all, My Dad was in the Pacific in WW2 & the "Yanks" saved his
life more than once. The first time by actually arming him [the British
didnt have any?] before he & his shipload of mates were about to be
deposited on a "deserted island" which wasn't!.
The 2nd by administering "KWY-NYNE to the KY-WY" instead of the [correct of
course :)] "kwuineen to the KeeWee" for his, what would have been, fatal
dose of malaria.

He watched your country men, from an American ship while recovering, attack
Tarawa island & saw 1000's die--- he was so gratefull & so are many Kiwis
for U.S forces preventing New Zealand from invasion at great cost.
These & other experiences drove away his previous foolish british style
anti-American prejudices very common in the Antipodes at that time.

He made & lost many friends in war, I salute them all.
Kiwi Brian