Re: Cast Iron Welding

To: "Ken Winters" <kwinter@frontiernet.net>, "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cast Iron Welding
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 22:22:30 -0400
One thing to remember when welding cast iron. If you are welding a
crack make sure you identify both ends of the crack and drill a small
hole at each end. This will keep the crack from getting longer or
spider webbing as it gets hotter. One trick we use to use was drill
the holes to fit a piece of drill rod and insert a small piece at each
hole then weld from center out to each plugged hole. This was to
prevent future cracking with age. Seen quite a few blocks done this
way.
BillB