Local government going too far?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Local government going too far?
From: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 19:27:27 EDT
Hey everyone,
We had a hearing downtown this morning.  I reside in a fourplex, I'm in one
unit, my brother in another, mom, in one, and our tenant in the remaining
one.  Basically everyone here is into cars one way or another, but here is
where it gets interesting.  We were cited two weeks ago and at the hearing,
we are supposed to be violating several laws, so by June 30th, all vehicles
must be removed as it is against the law to have, on residential property,
any vehicle that is not running and/or currently registered (I didn't know
your car had to be registered to be parked in your backyard).  They said
someone was complaining because Eddie (our tenant) was operating a business
out of his place (true).  Over the last two years, the city has impounded
about 17 of his vehicles due to improper registration, no problem there, they
shouldn't have been on the street.  But whoever was complaining, had to have
been trespassing, because they went in the backyard and took polaroids of
everything back there.  What really got me was that they said that Eddie
could no longer have anymore yard sales as that was a zoning violation.  I'm
curious, so if you have stuff you want to get rid of, you can't have a yard
sale?  If your car isn't running or registered, you have to scrap it?  What
if the car isn't legal for road use, you can't keep it at your house? I'm
glad they couldn't get into the garages.