Re: 19" tires

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 19" tires
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 13:22:18 EDT
In a message dated 06/09/2000 9:58:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dwarner@electrorent.com writes:

<< Phil,

 Finally got an answer for you on the tires. I spoke with Steve Batchelor &
 Roy Creel. Steve is head tech, Roy is head of Vintage Class committee. They
 agreed with my first thoughts about weight loading. Roy has run 11 ply 18"
 motorcycle tires his streamliner that he bought from Ken Walkey after Keith
 Young and I were done with it. I don't remember the exact tire though. Roy
 didn't think that a high quality, speed and load rated tire would be a
 problem on the front of your Mod Roadster. In case you go ahead with these
 tires I would make sure you bring manufacturer's data to show that these
 tires will be suitable for the application.

 Dan Warner

Dan & Phil,
    I have two of those tires on my Modified Roadster. They had at one time
belonged to Don Vesco and/or Bruce Crower. They're 19" and have a very stiff
sidewall. There is no data on the tire and I have nothing written about them.
Supposedly they were made by Goodyear on special order for a racing
motorcycle application. I've been through tech at El Mirage and the World
Finals last year with no comments. They sure are aerodynamic. I'd like to get
a spare or two if anybody knows where to start looking...............Doug King