POLICE RADAR--longish......

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: POLICE RADAR--longish......
From: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:19:43 -0500
Listers/listees et al;
   On Thursday nite whilst traveling to a friends house, a police
cruiser passed me going the other way.
It was dark and around  10pm. The cruiser spun around behind and caught
me up, lights an' all, so I crossed over to the left to a quiet side
street and stopped. The officer informed me he RADAR'D me at 73mph. Now
here's where it gets confusing.......I was following a pickup truck
about 100 feet in front and had been from the turn we'd both made on to
this road (65mph zone.) some 1/2 mile back. I told the officer that I
find that 73 hard to believe as he said him self, the pickup he clocked
at 63 mph. Now, I said "Whilst that may be all well and good, when I saw
the reflective side strips on his car, an auto reflex made me look at my
speedo, it read 62mph"......" don't know about that Sir , your speed was
73 mph, I'm not going to issue a ticket anyway but I would like to see
you license and insurance verification sir". This I did and again
repeated that,"...the speedo read 62 in my vehicle, and as you know the
truck in front of me you got at 63mph."
"You must have been catching him up sir."...........
So later that evening I went down to the Police Dept' and there was
officer ******.
"You know', I said, "that bothers me to think you got a target hit at
73mph on a vehicle going 62."
the other officer there said "May be you tires are off sized"
Well that was not the case and today in the daylight I went back to the
spot and guess what...?
Right behind me as I approached the police car was I-35 over the highway
I was on, around 500 yards or so back. The police car was facing the
interstate traffic at a 90 degree angle,100 yards ahead of me, making
him 600yards from the south bound interstate lanes. The thing is, does
anyone know if a semi rig was passing at that point, would the radar
target the largest, fastest object and record that speed even though the
angle would have varied from 60 to 110 degrees across his line of sight
? You folk at the timing light should know, yes? I read somewhere that,
radar guns latch on to fastest targets even further away than the
principle target. Any comments ?