Re: POLICE RADAR--longish......

To: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>
Subject: Re: POLICE RADAR--longish......
From: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 12:57:27 -0700
Don
Wish I could help you but we don't use radar or totaly believe in the
accucracy of it. There has been much conversation regarding the use of radar
for timing the Budwieser rocket at Edwards AFB some years back. We use high
tecc. Banner photo cells set at 132 feet apart  with the certified
timer/computer accurate to 5 dec.points, we use 3 for SCTA & BNI records. I
think it would be very interesting to compare the two at El Mirage but I'M
not sure what the distance a  radar gun would be at its best. For safety we
are back 600 feet from the track and won't let anyone go stand near the
track even there are a few photographers that would love to get that close
up shot, it happened at Bonneville one year when one snuck out there. He was
escorted from the salt.
Glen BArrett
Chief Timer